Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Musings

It's a beautiful sunny Sunday in Minnesota...cold this morning but inching above freezing.  After returning from church and fixing a late breakfast, I've been lining up this week's projects.  Yes, Bernie will be back home tomorrow morning.  I called the shop again yesterday and they hadn't gotten to it, yet.  But, I started to whimper and the lady said she would "put it up" next and call me when it's finished.  She called me at 3:45 to tell me it was ready.  However, the shop closes at 4:00 on Sat. and it's a half hour drive (at legal limit).  Okay, I can suck up one more day.

So here are my upcoming projects.

#1.  Start practicing the FMQ Challenge for February. I've been drawing feathers on paper so I should be good to go.  We'll see.
#2.  Start sewing on the Sunbonnet Sue blocks I finished embroidering.
All those little pieces you see on the right are 1 1/2" and there are a gazillion of them.  You can understand why I would like to get started.
#3.  Get sewing on a christening gown I promised for #38's niece.  I made a couple of gowns for my neighbor a couple of years ago from her wedding dress so when Bonnie saw those, she brought me her wedding dress to see what I could do with that.  It's been hanging in the Bear Den for over a year.  
Lots of lace but not much fabric.  I got it all taken apart and laying all over my work table.
 
I hope she has a baby granddaughter.  There is a underskirt that should have enough fabric for a baby boy christening romper.  I like these kind of challenges.


Speaking of challenges, a friend of mine stopped by yesterday with a box of quilt blocks that her 83-year-old mother made a few years ago.  We talked about these blocks about a year ago when I was finishing and tying some quilts her mother had made and I said I could put them together for her.  Here's what I have:
There are 14 of the upper left, 22 of the upper right and 4 of the lower block.  These 11 1/4" blocks are neatly made by an 83-year-old lady confined to a wheelchair.  I don't think she uses a rotary cutter or any of the wonderful tools we can't live without.  If you look closely, you can see that her points are perfect.  She probably uses a cereal box to make templates.  My challenge is to come up with a pleasing design in a king-size.  I've been busy today with the Quilt Design Wizard software that I haven't used very much.  It really works nice for this project.


You just never know what's going to come through my front door.  Sounds like I watch too many episodes of Pawn Stars.


Taking No. 38 out for his valentine supper tonight.  That will put him on the spot for Tuesday, don't you think?  

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Good luck with the feathers! They are def challenging :) Looks like you are on your way with your design though :)

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

The February feathers are a lot harder than the Jan heart leaf...good luck. It will be easy to get into a nice rhythm after some practice. Good luck with your week.

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Wow you are very talented to be able to change up a wedding dress like that. Looking forward to seeing more prgress. hugs, Sharon