Thursday, January 26, 2012

Visitors

We had visitors at the bird feeders yesterday afternoon.  Not an unusual sight in Minnesota these days but I'm always amazed when I see them waltz into the yard. 
This flock of 24 turkeys live in the woods just across the field from our house.  We live in town but at the end of the street is a corn/bean field  which was purchased by a developer.  Since the bottom fell out of the housing market, the field is leased to a local farmer which keeps it in it's natural state.  In the winter, the farmer keeps his beef cattle in the field; thus, the turkeys are always hanging around.  Last summer we had a family of 8 visit our yard every day.  We watched the babies grow and diminish from six to four as the summer wore on.  

This is the view from our back yard to the east.  The dark specks are the cattle
 I love having the field so close.  We feel like we live in the country even though we live in town.  

I baked  kolaches yesterday.  Only the second time I'd ever made them.  For those of you that don't know what a kolache is, you are missing out.  No. 38 refers to them as Bohemian biscuits but they are actually one of  Czechoslovakia's national pastries.  There are as many versions as there are Czech communities but the version I made are as close as I've ever come to making our community's version.  I filled mine with apricot but they also can be filled with prune, apple or poppy seed. 

 When I buy these at the store or bakery there's only a smear of fruit filling in the center.  I made sure there was at least a tablespoon or more.  A dozen of these little guys went into the freezer and we ate six yesterday and this morning.  This is all that's left of the ones I didn't put in the freezer.  Mm mm.


Snow is predicted for tomorrow so will continue my scrappin' project.  I think I need to take a break and actually sew something so I can feel like I'm accomplishing something.  Yup, I think that's what I'll do and I have the perfect project in mind.  Stay tuned.




1 comment:

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

How nice to have the country so close to your house. I grew up in Iowa in the country and we lived on an acreage when our kids were growing up. Now in California...thanks for showing the photos...I can almost hear the cattle. And thanks for commenting on my blog.